This article is part of Kallan's wonderful Sunday Stew. Please hop on over and read all the different flavors added by each chef. I know that you will love it!
I used to be a yoga nut. When we moved five years ago to our home we currently reside in, I stopped. I started working on our home, thinking I would get back to it soon, and before I knew it 5 years had gone by with only a sporadic here or there practice by me.
I recently picked it back up. My main reason for starting back was my stiffness. Gosh, sitting here and painting and never moving had made me sooo stiff. Being a lyme disease "survivor" I have to watch my joints. My legs are a trouble area of mine, so moving is important.
My very first day back, I realized how much I had missed it. My goal is to work my way up to 2 hours a day of yoga. I am up to 45 minutes every other day right now.
My favorite type is Kundalini yoga. I love the Ana Brett and Ravi Singh dvds. I also like Maya Fiennes. I also meditate every night in bed before going to sleep. I cannot tell you how much better my attitude has been. I've been working with chakra meditations. I thought that I would do a chakra series for the blog.
Chakras are your energy centers. The universal energy flows through these energy centers. There are 7 main chakras. You don't want these chakras to get blocked. It can lead to illnesses, bad attitudes, among other things that each individual chakra governs. And also, I firmly believe that if your energy centers are running smoothly, then of course as a magical practitioner, you will be more powerful. Because this energy is what you harness, what you use. Your body is your vehicle. When you are driving your car, you have to keep it running smoothly by changing the oil, changing your spark plugs, etc....so think of your body as your Universal Car. Your chakras are your spark plugs. Are yours corroded? Are they firing properly? Is your energy able to move through them so that you can go? No? Then do something about it!
This is especially important if you are also a Reiki practitioner. How can the Universal Energy be engaged and used by you if you are all blocked?
Your base chakra is the Root Chakra, the Muladhara, meaning "root support" This 1st chakra helps for you to stay "rooted". It is the basis of your being. Its color is a vibrant crimson and it is located at the base of your spine, and your energy lives in this chakra, being sent from it into your other chakras. Your root chakra governs your identity, your basic needs, your self-sufficiency, your stability, and your ambition. It governs moving forward in your life with independence. The body sense that it governs is smell. Its element is Earth. Other symbolism associated: the elephant "strength", Sanskrit mantra lam, the deities Brahma and Dakini, four-petaled lotus in a deep red color
Your root chakra is your foundation of being, of well-being, of survival. Your foundation must be stable for you to move ahead and not only survive, but also thrive!
This chakra governs your lower digestion, anus, bones, prostrate, kidneys, adrenals, and sexual activity. Also, your nails and teeth.
Some symptoms of root chakra imbalance would include problems like constipation, being tired, lower back and hip pain, auto-immune issues, eating disorders, poor sleep, and obesity.
Since your universal energy is drawn up from the earth and then is sent through your other chakras by way of this vibrant powerhouse then it MUST be in good running order.
This chakra wants you to root yourself firmly, know your true self, and not float aimlessly like a feather on the wind. It wants you to know your true self, your purpose, and deal with your life and your circumstances, whatever they may be.
What are some symptoms of Root Chakra imbalance?
2. sleep disorders
5. low self esteem
6. adrenal fatigue
10.poor sense of smell
Now these are not all of them, I listed only a few.
If your root chakra IS balanced then you will have:
2. good physical health
4. acceptance of self
6. feelings of security
7. good judgment
again, only a few listed.
What are some things that you can do to fix the blockage in your root chakra?
1. Go earthing. Sit outside with bare feet and imagine roots coming from your root chakra and your feet and going into the earth. See the universal power coming up through your roots and filling your body. See your root chakra as a vibrant red ball that is spinning brilliantly. Do deep breathing while you enhance your connection with the earth. Do this for a few minutes every day. If the earth is too damp to do this, then stand outside in mountain pose and do it. Other yoga poses that are good for this chakra are standing forward bend, warrior pose and bridge pose.
2. Meditate on daily affirmations. "I am open and ready to receive love, prosperity, and abundance from the Universe" "I am beautiful, wanted, and loved" "My body is a temple of the universe and I will take care of and nourish it" "I am worthy of love and acceptance, I am beautiful, I accept all the love the Universe sends to me" You get the idea. This is self love, baby. You are worth it and you are beautiful. You root chakra will make you stronger with each affirmation.
3. Forgive yourself for mistakes that you feel you have made in the past against yourself and against others. Know that at the time you felt that you were doing what needed to be done and move on with your life. No regrets.
4. Lie on your bed and listen to to a pre-recorded meditation made for the root chakra. C note corresponds with your root chakra. Here are a couple of good ones from Youtube.
5. If you are lying down while doing the root chakra meditation, you can also use corresponding root chakra gemstones and crystals, by lying them near the area or over the area of the chakra. Good ones for the root chakra are: Smoky Quartz, Ruby, Hematite, Black Tourmaline, Agate, Garnet, Obsidian, and Bloodstone. (Think red or black stones)
6. If you don't mind burning corresponding incense or using essential oils, you can use: Myrrh, cedar, clove, rose, patchouli and cinnamon.
A good site:
For further reading:
The 7 Healing Chakras by Brenda Davies, M.D.
The 7 Healing Chakras Workbook
Chakra Balancing by Anodea Judith
Good sites with Root chakra info: